- This event has passed.
Navigating Difficult Conversations: Tools for Speaking with Authenticity and Confidence
October 26, 2021 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 9:30 am, repeating until October 28, 2021
Sooner or later, each of us needs to have a conversation with someone or we end up in a conversation that is challenging for us and the other party. This difficult conversation might involve saying “no” to your boss, giving constructive feedback to a co-worker, dealing with an upset customer, responding to an insensitive bully, or conducting or receiving a performance review. Too often these challenging interactions are defined by stress, anxiety, uncertainty, and even fear. It doesn’t have to be this way. During this seminar, you will learn a set of powerful models, tools, and techniques for approaching difficult conversations with confidence and composure. When emotions run high and there is a lot on the line, you want to be able to guide these difficult conversations toward productive ends. Navigating these conversations may never be easy, but we can make them more effective – once we understand why they sometimes go off the rails and learn what we can do to lay the groundwork for a successful outcome.
Attend this seminar to learn powerful strategies for turning these difficult conversations into satisfying ones.
As a result of attending this seminar, you will be able to:
- Describe the characteristics of a difficult conversation.
- Discuss why we engage in self-defeating, self-destructive behaviors during difficult conversations.
- Describe the two mindsets that drive our beliefs, thinking and behaviors: The My-Way and Collaborative Mindsets.
- Apply the Governing Values and Enacting Behaviors of the Collaborative Mindset to your own conversations (difficult or otherwise).
- Demonstrate an integrative model for conducting difficult conversations – those that we can plan for and those that arise spontaneously.
- Identify strategies for better managing your emotions during these difficult conversations.
- Demonstrate ways to reduce anxiety and fear and create greater safety for yourself and others in the midst of a difficult conversation.
- Implement a personal plan for strengthening your ability to navigate current and future difficult conversations.